Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rocky Ridge

First things first - Thank you to those who answered my question about the weeds. Now that I know they are weeds, I will pull them. I suspected they were, but I was hoping I was wrong. I'm frequently wrong when it comes to gardening.


Today we visited Rocky Ridge, the home of Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder. This white farmhouse is the one Almanzo built for them, one room at a time. Laura was tiny - 4 ft 11in, so Almanzo built everything for her scale. Low doorknobs, low countertops in the kitchen, low everything! All their original furniture is still in place, just where they had it. I wish I could have taken photos inside, but it was not allowed.


The stone house is the one nearby that their daughter Rose had built for them as a gift. It was a $2000 Sears catalog home which she upgraded to an $11,000 home. In the 1920's! She was a generous daughter, always buying things for her parents.

They lived in it about a decade, while Rose was living in their farmhouse, writing. Meanwhile, Laura wrote the first four Little House books while living at the Stone house. As soon as Rose moved away, they moved back to their old house and sold the stone one.

1 comment:

Ulla said...

Thank you for coming by my blog!
I loved the Little House books, and later there was a dress fashion for little girls when the series was on TV for the first time. I have watched the re-runs occasionally, too. So nice to see the real house.