Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where do you think you are?

I wonder that every Thursday when I take my son to his guitar lessons. These lessons, with which we are quite pleased, take place in a local strip mall. A strip mall decorated to make you think that perhaps you're shopping somewhere near the Mediterranean.

When they are clean and running, they do look nice, but when they are boarded over during winter, it is all too apparent that I am not living anywhere near warm blue waters. The site of them with plywood covers and dirty snow atop is rather dismal.







The piece de resistance, however, is this large fountain which sits on the corner near the intersection. I used to find it incongruous. I'd think, "Do they not realize this is a landlocked state? I mean, if I were in an oceanfront town, dolphins would make sense, but here?" Then I realized that if I were living where I might actually see a dolphin, I would not need a dolphin fountain to remind me what wondrous creatures they are. So with that in mind, isn't it lovely the way it frames the Arby's?

No comments: