Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Backyard Roses

This spring, we planted three knockout rose bushes outside the dining room windows. They are supposed to be red, but they look more pink than red. I like pink, so I'm okay with that. Right now, they are tiny little things, but they are growing and blooming.

Along the back fence, there are three tea roses planted by the former homeowner. Two yellow, one pink. They have lovely flowers, but are not prolific bloomers, only a few per bush. They are on the shady side of the fence, so they all lean out away from it looking for more sun.

Then, there is this one splendid red rose, beside the tea roses. I don't think this was planted by the previous homeowner. I think it has gone wild from some rose bush that once lived in the yard behind mine. There is no rose bush in their yard now, but this red rose grows out from under the fence at an angle, as if it knows that its only hope is to avoid detection over there. I enjoy this rose more than any of the others. There is something about tenacity in flowers that excites my admiration. One day, I will show you the single stray pansy that lives in my front lawn.

PS - Thank you again to the Fertilizer Friday ladies who helped identify the purslane last week!

4 comments:

Outside In said...

Beautiful Roses! happy FF! and have a great 4th of July!

Tootsie said...

those are very pretty!!! I have a hard time growing roses....thanks for joining in!

RainGardener said...

Gorgeous roses. Nice to see you at FF and have a nice 4th!

imjacobsmom said...

Lucky you getting in on the neighbor's roses! I wish my neighbor's flowers would migrate this way, too. Your roses are looking good. I just planted a few shrub knockout roses, too. I hope they do as well as yours. ~ Robyn