Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm too young to be history, aren't I?

I am not even old enough that my childhood should be considered vintage. This is vintage; it is not from my childhood:

American Girl - the company that has the historical doll-book series disagrees. They have a doll and book series to teach girls about childhood in the 1970's. The 70's! Really - nobody who is not yet old enough to have a granddaughter who reads those books should be considered to have had a historical childhood.

Historical childhoods include outhouses or ladylike snack sets like this one, depending on one's economic status, I suppose. Historic childhoods do not include Rice Krispie Treats and microwave ovens. One day polyester may be history, but that is probably wishful thinking.

Okay, so I grew up in the east coast suburbs, not San Francisco; and while Julie, the AG doll, was launching environmentalism and feminism, I was just riding my bike around, helmetless, like we did in the historic 70's, and trying unsuccessfully to teach my dog to jump through a hoop; and my parents didn't do anything so typically 70's as divorce. There was, however, backyard croquet, which could be quite lively.

However, that is not the point. The point is that those books are set in the years of my own childhood. They are aimed at 9 year olds. For me to have a 9 yr old granddaughter would only be possible if I'd had a child at age 16.5 and my child had also had a child at age 16.5. No, wait, these books were launched in 2007, we'd have both had to have given birth at age 15.5. Even less likely.

So there. Publication of this series was premature.

7 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Interesting, I remember my niece reading these books,and having a doll. Your photos are very pretty too, love the colors.

Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

~~Carol~~ said...

I CANNOT believe that there is a 70s AG doll! I thought the most current doll was one from the 40s. Unbelievable. That's a pretty little pitcher, or creamer. And the cup and saucer are pretty too!
Happy 4th!

CHER said...

Wow -- you got me thinking about growing up in the 70's.oops i just typed that in public. Have a blessed day, cher

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

i love that little cream jug :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

I grew up in the 70s too.. but we don't have American girl dolls here.. but I do remember kewpie dolls n raggedy ann dolls and few more dolls.. Thanks for the walk to memory lane.. and your lil orange creamer is pretty! Happy Vtt

Bea said...

I agree. The 70's hardly seem vintage. I was a teen in those years. As I look back, there are things that stand out as long forgotten.

Lil Seesta said...

This has to rank right up there with the kids who bag my groceries calling me ma'am ALL THE TIME now and complaining that I didnt hear any of the new music out there until I realized my normal programmed stations were, like, oldies! I still remember my kickin' Starsky & Hutch teeshirt. And my 4 yr old proudly wears me circa 1976 Star Wars shirt.