Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

River Farm

This morning, Mimi and I visited The River Farm, headquarters of the American Horticultural Society. The grounds are open to the public and free. The property was once owned by George Washington, but he himself never lived here. His niece and her husband did.

It was a lovely day for walking around, exploring the gardens. This one at left was called the Garden Calm, and it was. You can't see it in the photo, but it is shaded by the second oldest osage orange tree in the nation.


















Growing here is the fruit of the paw paw tree. (If you are like me, you heard the voice of Baloo singing when you read that.) I never knew paw paw trees grew in this area. The farm also had apple, pear, and persimmon trees, all with fruit.




One of the things which I think will interest my gardening readers is that the AHS seems to have given up the idea of grassy lawn. On the right is a picture of the "lawn" underfoot. On the left is the meadow garden which replaced the great expanse of lawn which led down to the river.

1 comment:

Tig said...

Yay! I am all about having a yard with No Lawn!!! Woot!