Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

U.S. Botanic Garden


Yesterday, I went to the U.S. Botanic Gardens. It was too hot, too typically July, to really enjoy it, and it was full of other sweaty people. This is yet another place that I had not visited in years, and which had been renovated in the interim. All the outdoor gardens were new to me. As hot as it was, this feature was a tempting sight. I was considering wading in it; it looked very clean and cool.

However, there were four of these signs surrounding it. So I kept my feet out of it and walked through the sprinklers instead.


Inside, I learned about this "living fossil." I don't really understand how something can be living and be a fossil, but that is what they call it. It seems to mean "something we thought was extinct for millions or billions of years, but somebody found alive." Wouldn't that be amazing? To discover something like that? Anyway, this is the wollemi pine, a tree found in an undisclosed location in Australia. It is one of the rarest plants in the world; only about 40 are known to exist. You might like to read more about it here.

No comments: