Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What we pack for a month long visit


I thought I'd share the quantity of stuff we brought with us for our month long visit.

Our three carry-on sized suitcases. Mine is the red. It is technically slightly larger than carry on size. I wish it were not, as it always worries me that it'll be rejected when I fly. I hate to check bags.



Each kid was allowed to bring a backpack, in addition to his/her suitcase. The red bag with the flag is schoolwork. The red handled tote bag was for car snacks. You can see how important snacks are to us by the size of this bag compared to the others. The black tote is for cords, laptop, knitting needles, etc.




These pop up hampers are essential to long term visits. I bought them at Target, my favorite store. I like the red one better than the double blue/white one. It's easier to carry up and down stairs to do laundry. I can't decide if I should give these to my son to take to college, or buy him his own.





These are the dog meds I forgot to bring, but my husband fed-ex'd to me. I would forget the things which I can't replace (the heartgard; frontline is available at Target). I also forgot the prescription for my daughter's eyeglasses; it's underneath the dog meds.



My train case - all toiletries for the family fit in here with plenty of room to spare. I like it, though, because I don't have to worry about toothpaste getting squashed or bottles being squeezed on route.

We brought two other things - my son's acoustic guitar and my daughter's rollerblades. We needed to make sure we had space in the car for one extra person and one extra suitcase on the return drive home.

6 comments:

ST. MICHAEL'S WIFE said...

One year I was going overseas and needed new luggage. I bought a set of RED suitcases thinking how easy they would be to spot. Ha! I think every other traveler on the planet had the same idea that year! I cannot tell you how many RED suitcases I had to look through to find mine -- so much for being a smarty!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I like that red suitcase! I have given up on trying to do a carryon and just check the danged things...

SueLovesCherries said...

I hope you have a wonderful month! I think I would have to pack ten suitcases - full of "just in case" items!

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

I love your red luggage! Hope you have a wonderful trip! Happy REDnesday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jennifer said...

St. Michael's Wife, I've noticed the same thing. I think my daughter's pink polka dot suitcase from Target would be easier to spot. Anything is better than black, though, coming off those luggage carousels.

Sue, my philosophy is that my mom has all the same stores that I do. If I forget something, I can buy it here. Obviously, that didn't work for me with the prescription dog meds.

Sarah said...

Ok...so I need your help in a few weeks. I have 7 people and 1 minivan. :)