Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My not so creative process

I don't really consider myself a creative person. I'm more of a direction modifier. I like to make things or do things, but I'm not one to start from scratch and build a better mousetrap. I like to have a pattern or at least an idea from which to start.

Yesterday was a search day. What to make next. I saw these hobby horses at the farmer's market in Aspen last weekend. They look easy to make, and I want to make one at some point, but I don't have a broom handle handy at this time.

I want to knit a new sweater for my daughter, so I asked what she might like. She would like a cardigan. However, I want to use the yarn I bought last winter for her and did not use, and there is not enough for a cardigan unless it is striped, and neither she nor I are interested in stripes right now. (Last year, she liked stripes.)

That magazine shows the leading cardigan contender, which I could make sometime later, but not with this yarn.

So I spent quite some time at Ravelry looking for something she might like, using the yarn on hand. If you knit or crochet, and have not heard of Ravelry, you are missing out on a very good thing. It is an enormous site with the best search engine for finding patterns. Go register and enjoy, but be warned - once you start searching for patterns, time warps occur. It also has forums where you can learn and discuss whatever you need or want to know.

We found a cap sleeved vest there that she would like to wear and I would enjoy knitting, so I am now ready to begin. I wish I could show you a photo, but I don't feel right stealing someone else's photo. If you do go to Ravelry, it is the Lett-Lopi vest.

No comments: