Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Unisex baby attire explained

I think I know the reason why throughout history babies wore unisex clothing: no ultrasounds and no ready made clothing! It's one thing to be able to send your mum or sister out to the Target after the baby is born to buy blue sleepers and return the pink, but it is an entirely different proposition when every piece of clothing must be hand sewn or knit beforehand. No wonder there were no "boy styles" or "girl colors."

This evening, I'm attending a baby shower for a friend who has chosen not to know the gender of her baby. I not so subtly asked her several times if she'd changed her mind because I really wanted to make something for the baby. Not knowing whether I should be knitting in blues or pinks or violets or greens, I have been at a loss over what to make. I know I could do a white blanket or sweater, but I just don't want to. I want to do something unabashedly girly or something totally boy.

So I settled on a white hat, in a boy style. Once the baby is born, I will make a sweater or something. Whatever it is, it shall be made in a gender specific color and style.

Of course the baby needs a sock monkey of his/her own!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I love, love, love the unisex hat! It is perfect and I wish I had your mad knitting skills! Thanks so much!

TexasHeather said...

I hear you. I like clothes on my kids that scream "I'm a BOY!" and I got very frustrated when baby clothes makers started selling baby blue GIRL clothes! A quick scan of the racks, I'd head to the soft blue, get there and find ruffles on the front. Aargh!!

Good for you with the unisex white hat (very pretty!) and then doing a sweater to coordinate, in the proper colors, afterwards. Sweet!