Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

UFO's resolved


UFO = UnFinished Objects

Today I got out the sewing machine. I've only been thinking I should do this since January. I had knit a small bag back in Jan., and wanted to line it. It's been sitting in a drawer ever since.

Until today. Today, I actually did it. It turned out nicely. I really like the frog print lining.

Before I did that, I mended a pair of pajama bottoms that were resting on top of the sewing machine. These used to fit my son, but that was at least six years ago. I thought they'd now fit my daughter.

After finishing the bag, I made a top to match the pajama bottoms. (The boys never wanted matching tops, but the girl likes things to match.) I am pleased with how it turned out only because I had to be very creative with laying out the pattern due to not having quite enough fabric for it. I altered it a bit, to make it fit with the fabric at hand.

Unfortunately, the pajama pants are several inches too long for the girl, so I will have to cut and re-hem them tomorrow. I left the sewing machine on the dining table so I won't let it go another ten months.

After the pajama top success, I sewed myself a pair of pajama bottoms from an old flannel sheet that had lost its elasticity.

I don't enjoy sewing like I do knitting, but it is not such a horror that it should be avoided the way I do. I think it may be a space issue. It's a bother to get the machine set up, and then have no place to eat or do school. I can't leave it out, so I avoid taking it out, even though I always have projects in mind.

The thing I really want to learn is how to put a zipper in place.



5 comments:

Quentin&Heather said...

I don't sew, but the space issue is one reason I switched over to more of a digital scrapbooking system. Doesn't take up space!

My dream house, in One Day Land, will have a separate Crafts Room just for such purposes as these.

Good job on resolving your UFOs!! -TexasHeather

MAAM said...

so its now tomorrow are the pants really getting re-hemmed today? LOL

Karen (KayKay) said...

I don't sew, but I do love the feeling of getting things finally finished.

Lil Seesta said...

The bag is fab!

Javajunky said...

The bag is very cute! I feel the same way about sewing. I would like to learn how to "zipper" also. Remember that sweater from ebay? The zipper doesnt work. :-(