Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

Facebook Friend Requests

I did join Facebook. Mostly, I like it. It's fun seeing everyone's photos, and I've gotten in touch with a few friends that I always meant to keep in touch with, but never did.

However, here are two things I find odd:

1. Getting friend requests from people whom I do not know and am certain do not know who I am. I could understand it if they were people that were friends of friends, with whom I'd had multiple conversations over time, but, no, that is not what I am talking about. I'm referring to people who do not know me. I ignore these requests - by pushing the ignore button. Pushing the ignore button leads directly to the second oddity.

2. If you request friendship from someone and they do not push the ignore button, you get to see the names of all the people they do befriend and the events they are attending. You don't see wall posts. I know, I've just admitted here that I've requested friendship from people who don't want it, but I'm okay with that. I honestly did not have high hopes that my request would be accepted from a couple people, but I care about them and want them to know it, even if they don't want contact with me on FB. So, it does not hurt my feelings that they don't accept the request, but I do wonder if they know that FB is sending me notes about their other friendships.

It's such a bizarre policy for FB to have: FYI - if you were wondering if Miss B hadn't been online this week to approve friend requests, she has, but she chose Mr Z and Mrs V, not you.


4 comments:

red said...

What bothers me is that I don't know anyone's surnames so I can't actually find anyone. Or worse, it gives me links to groups instead of people. And then there's Mafia wars...

Jennifer said...

Whose surnames don't you know? Ask around. Not here, obviously.

I hit the "hide" button so I don't see anyone's game playing.

Sarah said...

I noticed that myself.

Elizabeth said...

Regarding #1, I've noticed this especially with people from high school. I think some folks get excited when they first join and send friend requests to anybody that facebook suggests. I don't think I have ever heard of some of my high school classmates who have friended me. On the plus side, these particular people don't seem to be active on facebook.