Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inside-Out Squares

Fiber Friends, the monthly knit/crochet group I attend, is making surprise blankets for our founder, who is expecting twin girls! We'll each knit or crochet a nine inch square or two for the blankets.

As much as I wanted to get started knitting, I was having trouble finding something that worked to nine inches in worsted. I had about a half skein of pink Vanna's Choice left from my sister's hat that I wanted to use. After much searching, I found this pattern for a pretty square that begins at the center and works out. Brilliant! It worked up so quickly, that I decided to buy another skein and use the technique for another square.

I decided on a simple diagonal lace. Why? Because I knit it on Sunday morning, while listening to the musicians practice before church and during Sunday School - I wanted a pattern that didn't require thinking or looking at a chart or pattern. So diagonals it was.

This technique is wonderful - so easy to stop when I reach a nine inch block. So easy that I made another one with the diagonals going in the opposite direction the following Sunday.

(That last one is curling. It really is a square when it's flat. After they are sewn together with the other blocks, they'll all keep each other in shape.)

3 comments:

knit1kids4 said...

Wow! I love this... must go look up the pattern

Kathy C. said...

Those are beautiful (I'm coveting your talent! LOL)...I MUST teach myself to knit...you just can't get the same beauty from crochet.

Maria Berg said...

I can not knit - and it is good that you can do that!

If you want to see I have new birds today and tomorrw on my blog.

Thank you for the comments, MB