Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pretzel Delight for Jello Night


I decided to have jello night for book club this evening. The book we'd read was Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. One of the things mentioned is the high consumption of jello during his 1950's childhood in Iowa and the variety of "things in jello" recipes. So I decided to make Pretzel Delight, a jello dish that was served at many occasions during my husband's childhood. I also asked a friend to bring a jello dish. She brought an authentic 1950's jello salad.

Pretzel Delight is unlike any other jello dish I've ever eaten. This was the first time I've made it. It has three layers: a pretzel crust, a cream cheese filling, and a topping of strawberries in jello. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Nobody at book group, including my own children, had ever seen or tasted Pretzel Delight before this evening. Everyone seemed to find it a tasty novelty. Two took some home to the spouses. I'm considering that a hit.

7 comments:

Raymonde said...

New one for me, it is a bit like an English trifle but with the jello on the top. I will give that a try. Thanks. Happy blogging! xxx

☼¨`*•.♥RocĂ­o♥.•*¨`☼ said...

Yummy!!!

knit1kids4 said...

That is one of my favorite desserts!

Missus Wookie said...

Looks fascinating - jello isn't something we eat much of but that looks interesting.

TexasHeather said...

Oh, it is so delicious!!! My stepmom's family makes that and I am really loving the photo. I've never made it for my kids.....must do so!!!

Your photo does enough justice that I knew instantly what it was before reading your description : ) Glad they liked it at your book club.

♥ Tamara ♥ said...

My first thought was that this had cream cheese. YUM! Looks delicious :)

Leslee said...

This dish is DA BOMB!!!

It has been a Thanksgiving staple for some time now, but I like taking it to food day at work too!