Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Shaker Lemon Pie

A couple weeks ago, I'd never heard of Shaker lemon pie. Then I was looking through a book about pies, aptly titled Pie, Pie, Pie, and there it was: a pie formerly unbeknownst to me made of lemons, thinly sliced, macerated in sugar, and baked in a shell. I could not stop thinking about it, even after returning the book. I googled it. There were recipes all over the web for this pie made of whole lemons, peel and all, invented by the Shakers, a people who did not waste.

I used this recipe, because a) it was simple and b) it was essentially the same as the one in the Pie book.

Stepping out of my comfort zone, I took the risk of inviting friends over to eat an untested recipe with us yesterday evening. Delicious! Good pie and good company - what could be better?

The photo of the 3/4 eaten pie is, admittedly, not appealing. It tasted far better than it looked at that point.


6 comments:

Giovanna said...

very interesting, I have not had a lemon one but have had a lime one. It does take some getting used to stepping out of your comfort zone when trying new foods but when you do, you open yourself up to a whole new world of delicious foods and possibilities! Slicing the lemons/limes on a mandoline makes it so easier : )

☼¨`*•.♥RocĂ­o♥.•*¨`☼ said...

Oh wow so Yummy!

Jennifer said...

Giovanna, trying new foods isn't out of my comfort zone; inviting people to eat my cooking when I myself do not know what it will taste like is!

Kathy C. said...

Interesting...mouth watering actually. Was it tart or sweet?

reepijoy said...

my mouth is watering

Missus Wookie said...

Looks yummy - adding it to my list of recipes to try.