Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

365-103 Giving Quilting Another Try

After a decade long hiatus, I'm giving quilting another try.  This time:  no patterns, no triangles, no driving myself insane trying to adhere to the advice of experienced and perfectionistic friend-instructors, no gift giving deadlines - - - just a bunch of squares and rectangles and low expectations.  Trixie will love snuggling under this quilt even if it is hideously ugly and crooked.

So far, despite having cut a half billion rectangles the wrong size, I have not cried yet.  I just went to the Hobby Lobby and paid the whopping $2.77 for another yard of fabric.

My first foray into quilting resulted in a wall hanging and table runner for my mother in law, a wall hanging for my mother (that I still cringe when I see hanging in her house - the color value choices were that horrid), and a set of placemats for myself that are still in use.  That sounds pretty good, for the few months I spent on it, but none of it was fun.  Tears were shed in frustration many times.  So why try again?

I love the idea of quilting....the history, the thrift, the venue for self expression.  I don't love the perfectionism involved - the criticism of imperfect seams or, yeah, that's it, it's the perfectionism.  I've been reading the blog of kotkarankki for the past year, and she quilts.  She quilts like I wanted quilting to be, but it wasn't:  thriftily, creatively, generously, and without obsessing over every seam.  Her quilts are not perfect, but they are all made to be used, not hung on display.  She inspired me to give quilting another try.  Thank you, Ulla!

8 comments:

Ulla said...

Thank you, Jennifer, for the nice thought! You have chosen beautiful fabrics, and I'm sure you will be pleased with the result. Happy quilting!

knit1kids4 said...

Good luck - love the colors your working with

Giovanna said...

Oh I love quilting! Love it , love it , love it!!!
Do not be discouraged, everyone I know has done it, screwed it up, tried again, screwed it up again and given it up for a few weeks, months, years, etc. then gone back to it. It is so much fun and you can be so creative with it! You have to have some mess ups to be able to learn. I had an old grandmother teach me and I am so glad she did : ) I will be in your corner rooting for you all the way. Please show your progress on this quilt, I would love to see it through with you : )

Tracy said...

Col! I love to quilt and haven't in a about 2 years. I know what you mean... love the color choices.

Katie said...

Now THAT'S exactly the attitude to have! ...seriously. I'm the same way - my seams are always all wonkey, but I do it to have fun and don't worry about it being perfect. What's the fun in perfection?! :) Good luck!

Lynn said...

I'm happy that you found someone to inspire you to quilt just because. Perfection is in the doing!

Amanda said...

The colors you chose are really nice! All the best with the quilting.

-:- Tamara -:- said...

Beautiful! I love handmade quilts!