Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Read any good books lately?

Recently, as you may have noticed if you've looked at my booklist, I've been primarily reading non-fiction.  Light non-fiction.  Nothing academic or hard to read.  More self-helpish books than I've ever read.  Okay, so they aren't self-help in the usual meaning, but if you look at the list you'll see what I mean.  Things that I've not generally been drawn to in the past.  Memoirs, yes, biographies, yes, books about food and hair and happiness?  That's new for me.  Have I suddenly turned hungry, vain, and giddy in my dotage?  I barely cook and doing my hair = brushing it.  (The hair book was really not as interesting as I'd expected.  The book about pie, on the other hand, was a fun read - and had recipes, which I intended to copy before returning the book, but decided it could wait until fall when I want to turn the oven on again.)

The other day at the library I picked up a novel by Alexander McCall Smith, The Unbearable Lightness of Scones, because I've so enjoyed the others in this series.  (I love the way he writes about human foibles and how he captures a location by writing not about it, but about its inhabitants.  It makes me want to visit Edinburgh reading this series.)  I'm almost a quarter through....but I just have not got into it.  Normally, I'd have devoured it in a day or two.

Maybe this summer, meaning in July when I'm at my mom's house, I'll check it out from her library.  Or maybe I'll finish it before I go.  The mood may hit in the next week.  Reading is such an excellent way to while away* a hot afternoon.  However, I have a book about escaping Nazi Germany and moving to China downstairs, too, so that may win.  I guess it will depend on how tired I am from crafting at vbs next week.

I already have emailed myself a short list of books to look for when I'm away in July - just in case I don't think of any while I'm there (as if that has ever happened).  A couple summers ago I read every Jane Austen I'd not already read.  Oh, reminds me, there's a book called something like How Jane Austen Conquered the World that I wanted to check out, too.  I need to add that to the list, because I don't think I'll have time to read it before I go.


*After I typed "while away," looking at it, I became unsure whether the word should be "while" or "wile," so I googled it.  Both are used, but "while" is the older usage of the two, so I stuck with it.  Googling is so incredibly handy, but such a time sucker because I always have to read at least three articles on a subject, not trusting that the first hit will be accurate.

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Happy summer reading. It's nice to read light non-fiction. I've heard "The Book Of Awesome" is really good!

Ulla said...

Some books just seem to take more time, and can still be interesting, but some are just plain disappoinments. I have enjoyed McCall Smith's Ladies Detective Agency No. 1 series, and read some of the Edinburgh books. I like his way of writing. At the moment I'm reading the 12th and last of the Swallows and Amazons books Great Northern? by Arthur Ransome, and totally loving the series.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Lynn. I added that to my summer list.

Ulla, I've not read Swallows and Amazons, but I will take a look at them soon! I've read the No. 1 Ladies Detective books, too. I like the 44 Scotland Street series the best of his.

Missus Wookie said...

We like Swallows and Amazons here and have visited one of the locations too because of it.

"Pastwatch" by Orson Scott Card was good enough for me to read a second time in short succession.

Donald Miller's "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" was interesting.

Bill Bryson's "Shakespeare" was a fun light read.

Christina Baldwin's "Storycatchers' is another I've read a couple of times and actually bought rather than just borrowed.

SF - have you read the Katherine Kerr's Deverry series? She's finished it so you can read all 20 without waiting years for the next one :)

Missus Wookie said...

Meant to say - http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=10592 is a good way to find books too.

I list what I'm reading in my weekly daybook and have been inspired by your list. Maybe next year :)

Missus Wookie said...

oh and I found the semi colon through http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/ another good place to find recommendations...

Books are a passion of mine :)

Tracy said...

This made me giggle. A bit like myself....

Giovanna said...

The Hiding Place is an excellent biography of Corrie Ten Boom while in Nazi Germany. If you enjoy reading books about food, which I love, try the Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken. I finished this one in a few days and it has some great recipes in it as well.