Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Festival Drop Outs

My son and I met downtown today.  Our plan was to see the Folk Life Festival and eat exotic food.  Emphasis on the eating of festival food.  As it turned out, the featured regions were all ones we eat regularly (Mexican, Indian, and basically Chinese food), so the long lines ended that notion.

We did look around at some of the exhibits.  We watched an interesting "exhibit" of a family crafting musical instruments, one of which looks like a small guitar, but it is made of a solid piece of cedar.  Well, the body and neck are from a solid block.  The front is separate, as is the fret board.  I wish I could remember the name of it.  There were three members of the family at work, each doing their separate part.



We also saw an exhibit at the American History about the Apollo theater, which is celebrating its 75th birthday this year.

And, of course, we did eat lunch.  Since the weather is so unseasonably nice, we opted for eating outside, cafe style.

I had my first soft shell of the year, and would have taken a photo of it if I had not pounced on it so quickly that half the legs were gone before I remembered the giant camera sitting two inches from my plate.


He needed to leave before I did, so after my son left, I went to the Library of Congress, which I had not visited in years.

One more wonderful day!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I would have loved watching the guitars be made. That must have been neat. What a great way to spend the day with your son.

Missus Wookie said...

Neat wood carving photos and I love that roof!