Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Halfway through 2010

I thought the halfway point a good time to see how I'm doing with my wishes and goals, which I shared on New Year's Day.  I am not a goal setter by nature.   This is new and uncharted territory for me.   Everything is uncharted for me, because I don't like charts.  Anyway - 

Here is a wish list for 2010:

1. Lose 30 lbs.   Sadly, I now need to lose closer to 40  Inexplicable, as I have been exercising more, but not eating more.  No, it's not muscle weighing more than fat.  It's a big jiggly belly that appeared suddenly and without welcome.
2. Get a job with set hours, days off, and a paycheck.  Decided I didn't want a job in 2010.
3. Take a vacation someplace I've never been.  Yes!!!!  Went to San Francisco with my husband.  Fantastically refreshing!!!!  Loved SF and loved being alone with him!!!
4. Date my husband.  Yes!!!!!  More dates this year than for the previous 5 combined.  Loving it!!!  
5. Teach my dog not to yap so much.  Making progress.  Slowly.  Two steps forward, one step back.
6. Learn to drive a manual transmission.  Have made no effort towards this.  Am thinking now I must not have really wanted to learn since I've not really tried.  
7. Win the lottery. (It's a wish list, remember.)  Not yet.  Still wishing.
8. Teach my daughter to understand fractions.  Not entirely there.  Still trying.
9. Cure cancer. (I may as well dream BIG.)  Sadly, no:  two more friends diagnosed with cancer this year.
10. Move somewhere with quiet neighbors and a private backyard.  No.  Trying to ignore loud neighbors, being thankful that they are all A/C addicts so there are only two seasons when I hear them.  Focusing on finding joy in the here and now.

Here are my actual goals, resolutions if you prefer that term:

1. Be joyful always.  Not always, but more often than not.
2. Pray without ceasing.  My failure in the other two seems to increase success in this one.
3. Give thanks in all circumstances.  Not all, but more and more all the time.

For this is God's will for me in Jesus Christ.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

All in all, I'm doing better with living out this verse than I had any business expecting I would.  Yay, God!!!!!!  He is amazing me with what He's doing in me.  


1 comment:

Giovanna said...

I hear ya about the big jiggly belly, but mine grew over 5 years of child bearing not really a sudden onset. I've had three c-sections and find it very difficult to lose the "belly shelf" I have acquired.
I'm glad you were able to date the hubby more, that's so important.
And I am living proof that you must learn how to drive a manual, I told myself I would never need it, then a friend went into labor and I had to drive her to the hospital. It was horrible, I felt so badly. I'm sure she has neck problems because of my driving now : )
When you cure cancer, let me know!
I like your actual goals, it is hard to do, but you feel so better when you can.
Take heart and now we are all there with you in the same struggles, just at different times of our lives. : )