Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Baby Love, Books, and Procrastination

Did you think I was never coming back?

I've been so busy this past week.

My workload was doubled because I'm going out of town this week, so I needed to get two weeks worth of work finished in one.  And of course the copier stopped working, and the repairman did not show up until the next day.  Isn't that always how it happens?  The busier you are, the closer the deadline, the more likely office equipment is to turn against you.  In the end, everything got done, and things should run smoothly in my absence.

All my spare time for the past two weeks was devoted to knitting this blanket for a friend who is expecting her firstborn in a month.  The shower was yesterday.  I just love making things for babies!  So why did I wait until two weeks before the shower to begin?  She's been pregnant for 8 months already!  Have they found the gene for procrastinators yet?  Is there a cure?  Too late, I've already passed it along to the next generation.


I had to drag myself to the shower, however, because the book I've been waiting for since spring finally was published and waiting for me at the library at 10am Saturday morning. 
All Clear by Connie Willis.

Read Blackout first.  Then All Clear.  You will be glad you did.  Really.  I cannot imagine anyone who enjoys well written fiction disliking these books.  Historical fiction and time travel and Agatha Christie all in one book.  Sounds awful, but it is marvelous.

The two are one book, but it was published, cruelly, in separate volumes, making us wait from May to October to find out how things ended.  So get on the waiting list for All Clear, and read Blackout until you get called.  I actually re-read Blackout on Friday (the blanket was done), then - after the library was closed - I saw that All Clear was waiting for me.  So I was there when they opened the doors Sat.  Read until the shower, came home, read until I was done.  When I finally put the book down, I realized I had a raging headache (from reading for almost two days straight) and sense of loss (because I didn't want the story to end, even though I wanted to see how it ended) when I was done.  I'd be tempted to read them both again if I were not leaving tomorrow.   I love how Connie Willis writes:  her characters are so real, no matter the circumstance they find themselves facing.  They are real people, and likable people, (likable at least in these books; I've not read all her books).  You care about them.  They'd be your friends if you lived down the street.  You just know it.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

The blanket is beautiful. I'll have to check out Connie Willis. I know what it's like to want a story to never end!

Sarah said...

Fan.tas.tic blanket. :)

red said...

Mom, I know exatcly the feeling. I remember the year the last Harry Potter book came out and feeling like I'd never read another interesting series again.

Clearly, this was not the case. I may not be looking forward to reading 'All Clear' as much as you were, but I still can't wait.

NotaSupermom said...

That's really, really nice!

Kristal@knit1kids4.wordpress.com said...

LOVE the blanket... don't know the books though.

Missus Wookie said...

lovely blanket - such delicate stitches in the hearts. Thanks for the book recommendations.

Raymonde said...

This blanket is gorgeous. Could I have the pattern please? xxx