Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Writer's Mitts

My eldest liked my Saxon Mitts so much that he requested these fingerless mitts.  That was last January. I quickly knit up the right hand.  Made a mistake on the left.  Got annoyed with myself and set them aside.  Forgot about them for eleven months.

My son has a better memory than I do, however, and he mentioned them a couple weeks ago.   Looking at the half done left hand, I realized that I had no idea where in the patterns I'd stopped, so I frogged it and started anew.

A few days later, he had his mitts.  He wears them both outside and in.  Mostly indoors, while writing.  Like me, his hands get ice cold when he's typing.  So I'm calling these his Writer's Mitts.



We chose the cable pattern from the Arco Guide to Knitting Stitches.  I should buy that book.  I check it out from the library so often, it practically lives at my house.  My husband suggested I ask the library if I can buy their copy.  It doesn't seem like anyone else ever checks it out. 

The basic math for the mitt is Ann Budd's, from her Handy Book of Patterns.  I'm not sure I've ever used anything other than the mitten and glove patterns in that book, but I've used them so often the purchase was totally worth it.

8 comments:

Renee said...

Those are SO cool!!!

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Those are great!! They really help a lot.

Lynn said...

Neat! Your son makes the perfect hand model too.

Amanda said...

You did a great job! They look great!

knit1kids4 said...

Those are really neat! Such detail.

Tracy said...

I needed these in Ohio!

red said...

I have to say, having worn them around a bit now, they have a warming effect about equal to that of wearing sleeves. And on top of that, they look awesome!

Missus Wookie said...

Oh these are cool - they'd match Princess' new Slanket which she's busy typing in right now.