Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

365/21 & 22 Lions

Today, the lions were the most  interesting animals at the zoo.  There are three lionesses and one lion at our zoo.  The lion was focusing all his attention on one lioness today.  Not the lioness pictured above; she was contentedly sunning herself.  The lioness receiving all the attention was restless.  She is the one pacing behind the lion below.  The lion looks all cute and kittenish here, but he was marking that tree, not sweetly scratching his head.  I was wondering if the favorite was in heat or pregnant or what.....I don't know enough about lions to know what would merit a lioness all that attention.  There were no visible signs of either of my guesses, but I'm hoping for cubs. 

Those are my "good" lion photos for the 365, ie they are in focus.  The next ones are blurry, but they show the lion in action, which I think you'll want to see.  When the lions were fed (lucky us - we happened upon feeding time!), the restless lioness held back about getting food, letting the other two go first, but the lion was not at all pleased with this plan and chased off the other lionesses until his favorite went down from the rock where she was perched and ate.  The lion himself did not eat.  He just watched her eat.

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Lucky you, to see them in action as you did! And great shots too.

knit1kids4 said...

How cool... I've never seen lions being fed.

Kara said...

ooohh prrrretty!! I love lions. Great shots!

Patty Ann said...

How cool was that!! What zoo were you at? It looks like an amazing exhibit.

Tracy said...

Fabulous shots! Love the light!

bimwphotography said...

How fun, and great shots! I've never seen them together like that ( m/f) at my zoo!!

Katia said...

Jennifer, thank you for your kind comment and encouragement. i too delete lots of pictures, I don't feel confident at all with most of my shots. I personally love your photography, you have some amazing shots, and they show your heart.
(((hugs))
katia

The Reader said...

Wow! Those are great!

Sheri said...

Wow, the lion is gorgeous! I just think their manes are stunning.

( about the freckles...totally bummed be out too! I wanted them to stay in the edit but I'll work on that!)

Missus Wookie said...

Fun shots - how cool that you got to see them being fed.

Anita said...

Such interesting shots to capture. I've never seen the lions feeding before, that would have been really cool to see.

Magnolia_Mom said...

Nice action shots at the bottom. I like the middle one, too. Looks like he needs a good scratch. :)

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Those are terrific. I especially love the second one.