Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shooting Mitts

After I made my son's mitts, my husband requested a pair.  He thought they'd make good shooting mitts.  Of course, I dilly dallied about and didn't start them until a few days ago.  Luckily, it has been warm this month, so he's not been desperate for them.

For his, I used the staghorn cable from the Arco Guide to Knitting Stitches and the mitten numbers from Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns

I wish I'd offset the cable further away from the thumb gusset, but done is done around here.  The staghorn cable is easy-peasy, so I didn't even need to keep the book nearby. 

The yarn is Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, which I bought at the library.  Yes, the library.  The central branch has a yarn shop in it, the profits of which are used to support the Fresh City Life* programs.  The shop has set hours, but if one of the employees is in the office and you knock on the locked door, they'll let you in to shop.  I love the Fresh City Life programs, so I like to buy yarn there.  Their prices are exactly what other shops charge.

*The library is completely changing entire software and site this week, so I cannot link to it right now, but I will come back and add it later.

7 comments:

Kristal said...

Boy... I'd love the library even more if it had a yarn shop. I'd never leave!

Patty Ann said...

Oh, I love them. I wish I had that kind of talent. Unfortunately, I haven't learned knitting or crochet.
I will just have to admire yours!

Katia said...

These are pretty. I think the knitted ones look a lot nicer than the crocheted ones. But, since I don't' knit, i just have to keep crocheting mine, LOL.

Amanda said...

well done! they look really nice!

Missus Wookie said...

the only place to buy yarn just closed (it was also the sewing shop), hmm wonder if I should suggest it to the library. They do have a knitting club...

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Those are very nice. Great job! I love my gauntlets. None are homemade, but I could have some if I were to ask. My mom knits, as does a friend. Plus I can crochet.

Kathy C. said...

Those are fantastic. I am a crocheter (is that a word?) I want to learn to knit so badly...I feel like an old dog though, lol