Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

thoughts on: The Hole in our Gospel

The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us?  The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the WorldThe Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us?  The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World by Richard Stearns

I do not think I can do this book justice in a review.  It confronts readers with how little they are doing to alleviate the suffering of the poor world-wide and what God has said of this in His Word.  It challenges us, as individuals and the church, to respond with whatever means we are able to put our faith into action in meeting the needs of those living in conditions unimaginable to most of us.  To me, certainly. 

This isn't a book to be read and pondered.  It is a call to action.

3 comments:

Katia said...

Amen, Jennifer! I don't think we give where it hurts, we are way too selfish, we give out of our leftovers. I too read a neat book that made me change my mind on giving to others in all aspects of giving. This would be one book that I might check it out when I am done with my Bible challenge this coming spring.
Thanks for the review.

The Reader said...

A book I haven't read yet, but have seen recommended a TON by folks on the field/in the field, that sounds like a good pair to this book -- When Helping Hurts. It's about how to be effective with your giving/help, so that the help isn't actually doing more harm than good.

sounds like I need to add both to my list; this book sounds really powerful.

Missus Wookie said...

Not heard of this one - thanks for the recommendation.