Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

thoughts on: The Three Musketeers

The Three MusketeersThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

I alternated reading and listening to this.  I expected to enjoy it more than I did, having loved The Count of Monte Cristo.  It has two distinct parts, the first, being primarily about D'Artagnan, delights with comedy.  Dumas is very sly, making constant jests about the morals and character of the time.  Had the entire book followed this pattern, I'd have liked it more.

The latter third focuses on the infamous Lady de Winter, and that was melodrama, made painful by the awful rendition of female voice by the narrator.  Chapter upon chapter of her seduction of Felton were excruciating.  I think I would have been better off reading that portion. 

Overall, though, I did enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to discussing it at book club this month.

3 comments:

Raymonde said...

Hero of my childhood D'Artagnan, and I read it in French being French. Not my favorite book though. Enjoy your book club.

To answer your question yes that is my garden!

Hope you have started the year well. xxx

Reading Allowed said...

Ok, I keep subscribing to your blog but it never shows up in my google reader, and I don't notice until I come here directly that I'm missing posts (I am sure this is user error and not your blog, I'm just telling you why you get a bunch of comments in a row from me...catching up!)

I also really loved The Count of Monte Cristo, and enjoyed but didn't love The Three Musketeers. But the narrator can really make or break a book when you're listening, huh? I remember listening to The Historian and it switches narrators so jarringly that I just couldn't listen. If you listen to a lot of audiobooks there's an audiobook challenge you might be interested in. Let me know if you are and I'll find the link for you.

Missus Wookie said...

isn't it amazing how the narrators makes such a difference. 3 Musketeers wasn't a favourite of mine either - we always stopped short of the seduction but the kids liked the first bit.