Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Elwood, the Ruffle Butt Rabbit


 This is Elwood.  I named him after the best friend of the famous pooka, Harvey.  I love that film, especially this line:   

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." ~Elwood P. Dowd




I finished Elwood yesterday.  He was inspired by the frog and a similar rabbit pattern by the same designer.  "Inspired by" means I did not follow the pattern directions, except for the ears.
I cast on using Emily Ocher's method.  Because I did not want to see the increases, as I did for Valentino, I spaced them out at different intervals.  The body, head, and ears are knit as one unit, then the arms, legs, and tail knit separately and sewn in place.  I liked the dangly legs of Valentino, and wanted long like that, but more substantial.  The arms are unstuffed, but the legs are stuffed.  I turned little short row heels to create feet, because rabbits need feet for hopping.

The tail, in the pattern that inspired me, was a pom-pom, which I don't like, so I made a twirly little ruffle for Elwood's tail.  I call him a ruffle butt rabbit.  He considers it a compliment.

9 comments:

Sandpiper said...

You make such cute little 'friends'!

Lynn said...

Very cute and loved how you positioned El for thes photos. Cute butt!

knit1kids4 said...

I love him! You are very talented

Toni said...

aww ur bunny is sooo adorable! i'm ready for Easter ;)...in the meantime, happy valentine's day! (i know i'm a day early lol)

Kathy C. said...

Oh my goodness! That is SO cute...I WANT one! :)

Magnolia_Mom said...

SO cute!

Kara said...

LOVE this!

Missus Wookie said...

love that ruffle butt :)

Kim said...

mr bunny is too cute.. love this tail