Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

thoughts on: A Voyage Long and Strange

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New WorldA Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horwitz

Although I was familiar with most of the persons and events Horwitz writes about in Voyage, there were enough new-to-me facts and details to keep my interest.  (For example, French Hugenots settled in Florida before St. Augustine was settled, entirely new information to me.  The Spanish killed them, all except the musicians, which explains why we never hear about them.) 

Like his earlier book, Blue Latitudes, history is interwoven with Horwitz's own journey through the locales of history, with observations on how those events are perceived today.  Horwitz seeks out not only experts on the subjects of his study, but also people with divergent takes on the lasting impact of exploration and colonization.

Entertaining and informative, just what I wanted.

2 comments:

LivingFree said...

Sounds interesting.

Missus Wookie said...

I really like your book reviews - I've added several to my 'to read' list. Just need to get a bit more time.