Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

thoughts on: The Mysterious Howling

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious HowlingThe Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

There are not enough wolf-boy stories in the tabloids these days.  It's all celebrity gossip now.  I remember decades ago scanning the black and whites at the grocery, always on the lookout for a wolf-boy found in India story.  They were always found in India.  Mowgli was not the only one, only the most famous.  So, when I noticed this story about children raised by wolves, who then get a spunky young governess, it seemed the perfect way to spend an afternoon.  (I'm leaning strongly toward light reads these days; Trixie's cancer is enough darkness for me just now.)

This would have been a fun read aloud, if I had young children.  It was funny, mysterious, explained idiomatic expressions and literary terms, and ended with the set up for the next book.  I'll read that one when it comes out; I'm second on the holds list at the library. 

If you have elementary students, I'd recommend this one for them.   The writing style seems somewhat influenced by Lemony Snickett, but without the gloominess or narrator as interested party.  I hope the series is not as long, either, because, though it might hold a child's interest for thirteen volumes, I doubt it will hold mine. 

No comments: