Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

thoughts on: One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

I have read all of Jasper Fforde's books and always anxiously await his latest, so I was thrilled to win this advanced reader copy.  It arrived at my house while I was on vacation, and today was the first day since arriving home I've had time to sit and read.  So I did.

Fforde's writing is so delightfully wry.  I love how every genre, plot device, character type, and cliche' are simultaneously used and mocked.  Neither icons of literature nor fan fiction escapes Fforde's wit.

In this latest installment of the Thursday Next series, the protagonist is not Thursday Next.  At least, she is not the Thursday we've enjoyed in earlier books.  This Thursday is the written Thursday, the kinder gentler protagonist of BookWorld.  So we get a whole new cast of characters and see more of the interplay between fact and fiction.  We also learn such important things as why Toast is so often mentioned in earlier books.

This only makes sense if you've read the earlier books, which if you like literature and fantasy, you should.

No comments: