Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

thoughts on: The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost

The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected AdventureThe Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure by Rachel Friedman

Rachel Friedman's coming of age memoir is unlike many others written today, tales of triumphs over adversity and trauma.  The triumph here is simply growing up, discovering who she wants to be, and taking responsibility for that.  She discovers an adventurous side previously hidden from view, and she ignites a passion in herself for travel.

Her travels take her to Ireland, Australia, and South America, and lead her through the sort of soul searching everyone should do as they sift through the myriad of options that are adulthood.  Throughout, Friedman relates both her experiences as she travels, and her struggles with the never off her mind, "what do I do next" question.

I enjoyed both aspects of her story.  I love to travel, not as adventurously as a 22 year old backpacker, but, still, reading her descriptions of the places, the food, the people does make me want to travel more.  Now.  I don't think I'll be staying at the dorm style divey hostels, but it was fun to hear about them.

I do wish she had shared a little more about what she did immediately after her travels to South America came to an end.  I know from the epilogue and author bio bit what she is doing now, but the story leaves the "what do I do next" question unanswered.  It leaves the reader wondering if she made a decision at that point, or if it took her another few years to settle on a course.

No comments: