Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

365/104 Not a good weekend for Trixie

The cancer is definitely taking its toll.  Trixie is not feeling well.  She has that distinctive smell and breath of the ill, and it seems to be causing her to not trust her water.  She goes to get a drink, dips her tongue in, then decides against it.  

She was lethargic yesterday, and I realized that she was dehydrating.  I am now giving her dishes of 3:1 water to beef broth and sometimes milk.  I also put her on antacids, because this type of cancer is known to cause ulcers and other gastrointestinal distress.  She is still eating and interested in food, so I am hopeful that as long as we can keep her hydrated, she will not feel too badly.  At least, not for a while longer.  About lunchtime today, she perked up and wandered about a bit, but mostly she is wanting to rest on my lap. 

4 comments:

Kim said...

so sorry to hear about your dog. Cancer is ugly!

Kristal said...

I'm so sorry... praying for your heart and her health.

Lil Seesta said...

Poor little one. you are doing all you can and she knows it...right now that lap is the whole world and there is safety and love and comfort - and that's everything. sending extra prayers.

The Reader said...

It so saddens me to hear all of this, but I'm glad you guys are doing what you can and keeping her as comfy as doggily possible. Poor Trixie, and poor Trixie's Family.

Still keeping you guys in our prayers. Cancer is no fun, be it a 4-legged loved one or a 2-legged. ((hugs))