Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

thoughts on: Made to Stick

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others DieMade to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath

I get annoyed with myself because I can't recall things I want to remember, like my telephone number, while my brain will not let go of things I wish to forget, like the theme song from Gilligan's Island.  I've often thought this was some sort of personal flaw, but according to Chip and Dan Heath it's all in the presentation of the idea.  Some are "stickier" than others.  (Okay, they never mention telephone numbers or theme songs, but I can extrapolate.)

In Made to Stick, they explain why some ideas stay with us and others don't - regardless of how useful or important they may be - and give a simple checklist for developing ones that are more likely to leave a lasting impact.    Of course, they employ those very techniques as they explain the process to us.  I just finished the book, and it'll be interesting to see if a month from now I still remember them.

The topic immediately caught my interest, but I was not certain if it would be applicable to me, not being in the business world.  Happily, I found it both interesting and applicable.  As I was reading it, I was thinking how, at various times, I have and have not used each of these six qualities in my attempts to teach my children (both as their academic teacher and as their mom).  I still have one teen left - here's to making life lessons stick!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh wow. Great review. I may need to read this one for myself!