Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

thoughts on: Confessions of a Bad Beekeeper

Confessions of a Bad Beekeeper: What Not to Do When Keeping Bees (with Apologies to My Own)Confessions of a Bad Beekeeper: What Not to Do When Keeping Bees by Bill Turnbull

Beekeeping has long piqued my interest.  Not enough to take a class or read an instruction manual, just enough to google it every once in a while and to grab this book off the new bookshelf at the library.  I am so glad I did!  Turnbull entered beekeeping pretty much the way I would - underprepared.  He humorously recounts his adventures and misadventures as he learns what it takes to be a successful beekeeper.


Labeling himself a Bad Beekeeper, Turnbull tells both what he has done, and what he should have done along the way.  He gives a brief history of beekeeping, discusses modern problems bees and beekeepers face, and shares his incredible joy in spending time tending his hives.

I'm not ready to take up beekeeping yet (it's against my town ordinances anyway), but Turnbull has fed my desire to do so.

1 comment:

Missus Wookie said...

interesting I saw this somewhere this week and wondered about it. Glad it was interesting, not sure I want to look after bees but would like some in my garden :)