Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

thoughts on: Home Staging: The Winning Way to Sell Your House for More Money

Home Staging: The Winning Way to Sell Your House for More MoneyHome Staging: The Winning Way to Sell Your House for More Money by Barb Schwarz

Barb Schwarz may have invented home staging, but her strategies seem to be stuck in the past.  Although her basic advice, declutter and clean everything, is sound, the photos in the book seem like they came from the 90's, not 2006, when the book was published.  I believe her when she says that she's had buyers fall in love with paper plate headboards and raffia tied towels, but I keep wondering when those looks were considered appealing.  (Actually, after the first few pages, I skipped the testimonial chapter.)

Part of the book is a sales pitch for why you should stage your house, preferably with a stager she has trained, and hire a realtor listed on her website.  She also pitches the idea of "staging for life," ie paring down and living in what looks like a model house.  Since staging is all about depersonalizing your house, I find that idea almost depressing.  I understand the reasons to stage your house to sell it, but living in a home, for me, is all about having it reflect who I am and how my family lives. 

If you want a truly helpful book on home staging that goes beyond "clean and declutter," I recommend Starr Osbourne's Home Staging that Works.

No comments: