Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Choices

Choosing a color for my basement has been difficult.

What I want:  pale blue-grey.

What happens in my basement:  grey turns green. I thought it might be the soft white bulbs, so I replaced all the overheads with non-yellow bulbs.  That helped, but not enough. 

The sample on the right is paint from the upstairs bath, so I tried it first.  Upstairs, it is a grey-blue.  In the basement, it is greenish grey and too dark.  So I thought I should try something more blue and lighter.

The sample on the left came next.  I do like it; I love blue rooms.  However, I am thinking resale in a couple years, and think this one might be too bright, a little too nursery blue for mass appeal.  So I looked for something even lighter, less saturated, and greyer.

I chose the one in the center.  It is very pale, more grey than blue, and leans more to purple than green, which the basement seems to need.

I find it fascinating how the light in a space changes everything.

And now you know what I will be doing for the next few days.

2 comments:

Kristal said...

Like the choice... have fun painting!

Missus Wookie said...

interesting reasons for colour choices - I'd not have seen the blue as a nursery but worried about it looking cold and damp for a basement. I'd have gone for something warm - hence all the yellow and bright coloured basement rooms next door!