Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

thoughts on: The Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds, and Finds and the Search for Lost Treasures

The Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds, and Finds and the Search for Lost TreasuresThe Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds, and Finds and the Search for Lost Treasures by Philip Mould

Mould introduces us to the world of art historians, restorations, and the risky business of buying and selling art through the stories of six paintings.  Through them, we are given a taste of the thrill of the discovering forgotten works, the historical research to authenticate them, and the process involved in restoring them.  I've always been interested in art restoration, and I enjoyed listening to Mould's adventures and meeting the characters he encountered - including a forger, a hoarder, and self taught experts in their fields.

I listened to this on tape while painting my basement.  I'd like to find a copy to look at the illustrations.  I read in another review that he includes before and after of the restorations and side by sides showing the Rockwell forgery.

No comments: