Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

thoughts on: The Introvert Advantage

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert WorldThe Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen Laney

The first third of The Introvert Advantage discusses what researchers have learned about the differences in brain function between introverts and extroverts.  I found this part fascinating, and kept reading snippets aloud to my family.  I also emailed them all brain dominance tests, because I like to share.

The remainder of the book dealt with suggestions for introverts on navigating an extrovert dominated world.  Much of this I found skimmable, but it might be more helpful to someone who is young or struggling.  It seems like most middle aged introverts, like myself, figured out long ago that although they may never feel at ease in the outside world, they are nevertheless capable of dealing with it. 

I think the first part is well worth reading, both by introverts and by the extroverts who care about them.  Perhaps even more so by the latter, because, honestly, we know we seem odd to them.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like an interesting book. And I agree...an introverted middle-ager myself, I've learned to navigate the world. Be interesting to read about the brain functioning though!

Missus Wookie said...

One of the points I found interesting in last year's Swarthore Lecture was that Quakers have created a system of communities in which introverts thrive... which is unusual. I do know there are quite a lot of us in Qism.

It was also one of the main reasons we hs'ed - to let the kids mature before being forced out into groups. Princess copes now but I'm not sure she would have as well much younger.