Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

thoughts on: The Rescue Artist

The Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing MasterpieceThe Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece by Edward Dolnick

I expected to like The Rescue Artist more than I did.  Drawn in by the opening story, the 1994 theft of Munch's The Scream, I was set for a meandering narrative about the hunt for it and its thieves.  However, about half way through the book I began to lose interest in the side stories about detective Charley Hill's past exploits.  Since the book was more about Hill than The Scream, I should have set the book aside.  Instead I plodded through, genuinely wanting to find out about this particular crime.  By the last section, I was skimming through, reading only the parts relevent to the Scream.  I think I would have enjoyed a nice magazine article about the crime more.

No comments: